Well-known for its wind, sunshine, coulees, bridge and post-secondary schooling establishments, Lethbridge is a good prairie metropolis to go to. It makes a very good day journey from Calgary or weekend journey should you’re coming from additional away. (We’ve got two places in Lethbridge and extra within the surrounding communities, so we may be a bit of biased – we like it down right here!)
Discover the River Valley Parks
The Oldman River winds by the coulees, dividing Lethbridge into two components. The river valley is gorgeous and ideal for strolling or biking. A lot of the valley in and round Lethbridge has been made into parks, together with:
- Pavan Park – The northernmost park that includes picnic areas, volleyball court docket, playground and strolling/biking trails. You’ll be able to discover the coulees, bushes and river right here.
- Alexander Wilderness Park – In the event you’re into birding or going for a nature stroll, that is the park for you. No bikes or canine are allowed however there are strolling trails, picnic areas and plenty of wildlife.
- Peenaquim Park – Take your canine to the off-leash canine park or stroll the strolling paths on this park.
- Elizabeth Corridor Wetlands – Essentially the most northern of the parks on the west aspect of the river, this park options interpretive strolling paths and plenty of wildlife. There are additionally wonderful views of the Excessive Stage Bridge.
- Indian Battle Park – This park options quite a lot of trails, picnic areas, and a playground. It’s positioned proper subsequent to Fort Whoop Up, one other place to cease should you’re visiting Lethbridge.
- Bull Path Park – Divided into north and south sections by the freeway, Bull Path Park was the positioning of a battle between the Cree and the Blackfoot. As we speak, it has wonderful mountain climbing and biking trails in addition to lovely bushes and prairie landscapes.
- Botterill Backside Park – Head to this park if you wish to take a look at a mountain bike park or are interested by strolling, biking or fishing. There’s a playground and off-leash canine space close by.
- Henderson Lake – A wonderful lake with paths, picnic areas and a neighborhood pool.
Go to Nikka Yuko Japanese Backyard
This lovely Japanese Backyard is price a cease! The backyard is superbly manicured with water options and structure. Within the winter, they costume the backyard with lights and provide scorching drinks in your stroll!
The gardens even have a café, reward retailer and infrequently characteristic artwork and particular occasions.
Nikka Yuko is often open Thursday by Monday, however you’ll want to verify the hours earlier than you go as they differ seasonally. Admission is $12.50 for adults and $9 for college kids and youngsters (in the event that they’re 5 or underneath, It’s free).
Study the Historical past of the Space
Lethbridge is house to the Blackfoot Confederacy, together with the Kainai, Piikani, Siksika and the Amskapi Pikuni. Settlers arrived within the latter half of the nineteenth century, pushed by whiskey commerce and mining. The railway arrived quickly after as did farmers. You’ll be able to study extra in regards to the historical past of the realm by visiting:
- Fort Whoop Up – Go to the reproduction fur buying and selling fort to study extra about what occurred within the space between 1860 to 1890, together with unlawful whiskey buying and selling. Open each Wednesday to Sunday from June to September, this can be a nice cease for teenagers and people with an curiosity in native historical past. It prices $15 for adults and $10 for kids over the age of six.
- Galt Museum – Housed in an previous hospital constructing, the Galt Museum presents rotating reveals centered round native historical past.
- Southern Alberta Artwork Gallery – Open Wednesday to Saturday, go to the artwork gallery for a glance into modern artwork. $10 for adults and $5 for kids.
Float or Paddle the River
Within the hotter months, you may kayak or float down the Previous Man River. There are three authorised launch factors: Popson Park, Indian Battle Park and the Freeway 3 Bridge launch space. Pavan Park is the advisable pull out spot.
Notice: In the event you launch at Popson, you need to portage the weir part – look ahead to indicators.
Alternatively, head to Henderson Lake to paddle or float in if the situations aren’t superb within the river.
Don’t neglect your life jacket, sunscreen, and water! At all times inform somebody the place you’re going and verify the climate and river situations earlier than you head out.
Test Out the Websites Close by
There are some superb UNESCO websites close by:
- Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Leap – Study in regards to the Indigenous folks of the realm, significantly the buffalo hunt and why this animal was so vital. Only a 45-minute drive from Lethbridge.
- Waterton Lakes Nationwide Park – An unbelievable nationwide park that’s a bit of off the overwhelmed path for vacationers. An hour and twenty-minute drive brings you to the mountains with tons of out of doors actions.
- Writing-On-Stone Provincial Park – Simply an hour and a half drive away, discover the unbelievable badlands panorama with rock artwork.
- Fort Mountain Ski Resort – In the event you’re visiting Lethbridge within the winter, Fort Mountain is a must-visit for any skiers and snowboarders! Simply an hour and a half from the town, day elevate tickets vary from $40 to $120 – reductions out there if you are going to buy forward!
In fact, that is solely a brief checklist of what might be loved in Lethbridge and the encircling space. There are tons of seasonal native occasions, nice eating places and outside actions to expertise. What’s your favorite factor to do in Lethbridge?